Abandoned Mine Land Economic Revitalization Program
The Virginia Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy (DMME) is one of nine state and tribal programs chosen by Congress to receive $10 million in Fiscal Year 2020 to develop and repurpose Abandoned Mine Lands. The 2020 Abandoned Mine Land Economic Revitalization Program (AMLER) funding is made available and administered by the federal Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSMRE), in accordance with the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2020 (Public Law 116-93). First authorized in 2016, Virginia has received $10 million in Fiscal Years 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Projects must follow eligibility and other guidelines set forth in OSMRE’s AMLER Guidance document and adhere to DMME’s terms and conditions. Applicants are encouraged to submit projects with the greatest potential to achieve the economic development goals of the AMLER Program. Priority will be given to projects that promote innovative renewable energy solutions, innovation in agriculture and specifically projects that promote the creation of high-paying jobs and stimulate the revitalization of historically disadvantaged communities. DMME also encourages applications that present solutions to economic development challenges.
Below are the forms and information needed for anyone interested in proposing a project for review. Projects selected will be sent to the Office of Surface Mining and Reclamation Enforcement for approval.
The deadline for submittal is April 1, 2021. Completed applications should be emailed to Tarah.Kesterson@dmme.virginia.gov.
Applicants are requested to submit a separate Letter of Intent by March 1, 2021 UNLESS a completed application is received by this date. The Letter of Intent should include:
- Applicant name and contact information.
- Geographic coordinates of proposed project location.
- Geographic coordinates and description of AML features proposed to be remediated and/or other eligibility criteria, if known.
- One paragraph project summary.
- Anticipated amount requested.
- OSMRE’s 2020 AMLER Guidance Document
- AMLER Terms and Conditions - Updated 3/1/21
- OSMRE Grants Resources
- Interactive Map of AML Features and Past AML Reclamation Projects
- Interactive Map of Coal Mine Permit Boundaries
- AMLER Timeline Overview