Maps, Publications and Data
The Division of Geology and Mineral Resources provides geologic, energy, and mineral resource information to its customers. This information, generated by DGMR, is available for free download or for purchase in the form of geologic maps, geologic reports, and digital data.
- An interactive online map for DGMR datasets.
- Data query capability is available.
- Data can be extracted in GIS shapefiles or Excel spreadsheets.
- The Virginia Geologic Information Catalog (VGIC) houses a variety of DGMR datasets including publications, rock and core samples, geologic maps, carbonate samples, coal data, and data about orphaned mineral mines that are available for text-based searching.
- The National Digital Catalog on ScienceBase includes metadata records describing geological and geophysical samples and data managed by state geological agencies and federal organizations that have received competitive NGGDPP grants from USGS.
DGMR Web Store:
- Publications and products may be purchased Online or purchased in person at our Charlottesville Office using our self-service kiosk.
- A Topographic Index is available to assist you in finding the map you need.
- Materials may be picked at the DGMR Sales Office Monday-Thursday 10AM-3PM.
- Purchases must be made by using a credit card or electronic check.
DMME Web Store
USGS Science Base
|Carbonate Sample Analyses||5,400||View||Catalog|
|Clay Sample Analyses||870||View||Catalog|
|Coal Quality Data||375||View||Catalog|
|Economic Geology Mineral Resources Files||9,500||Catalog|
|Geologic Sections (VDOT)||5,500||Catalog/Download|
|Historic Uranium Exploration Information||1,500||Catalog|
|Historic Topographic Maps||640||View/Download||Catalog/Download|
|Mineral Resources of Virginia (MRV)||10,442||View/Download||Catalog|
|Oil and Gas Well Cuttings||7,376||Catalog|
|Outer Continental Sand Resources||6,273||View/Download|
|Silica Sample Analyses||51||Catalog|
|Unpublished Geologic Maps||670||View||Catalog/Download|
|UVA Mineral and Rock Specimens||6,273||Catalog|
The National Geologic Map Database has a searchable database of geologic maps, including those found in Virginia: