Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
  • (276) 523-8100



Any person aware of a violation of the Coal Mine Safety Laws of Virginia may report a violation to a mine inspector or to any other employee of the Department.  You may file the complaint in writing, by telephone, via e-mail, in person, at the mine, to a mine inspector, or at an office of the Department.

During the hours of 7:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, you may call either the Division of Mines in Big Stone Gap at (276) 523-8236 or the Lebanon office at (276) 415-9650.

After normal work hours, weekends, or holidays you may call the DMME office in Big Stone Gap at (276) 523-8100 and leave a message on the answering machine.

The telephone numbers for Division of Mines' inspectors and supervisors are posted at each mine, or refer to "How to Contact Us - State Employee Directory Search" on our Web Page.

All health and safety complaints received by the Department will be investigated promptly and thoroughly with a complete report of investigation rendered to the Chief.  The identity of the complainant will remain anonymous.